Director: Dr. Yong-June Shin
The oldest and most traditional of the various areas within electrical engineering, power engineering currently faces a dramatic technical revolution caused by cutting-edge technology such as computing and information technology. The new smart grid structure of electric power systems will integrate information technology into electric power systems for a more efficient transmission and distribution. Thus, it is necessary for us to keep pace with these new technical research trends in power engineering and integrate research into university education programs for the smart grid.
The followings is a list of on-going research programs at USC in the Power IT group:
- Power Quality in the Smart Grid (NSF I/UCRC GRAPE)
- Intelligent Electric Power Transmission (Santee Cooper, NSF)
- Advanced Cable Diagnostics and Protection (NSF, NRC, KEPRI)
- Next-Generation All Electric Ship (ONR ESRDC, Hyundai Heavy Industry Ltd.)
The applications of advanced information technology are not limited to electric power systems, but also we are extending its applications in a variety of multi-disciplinary engineering problems such as,
- Condition Based Maintenance of Aircraft with the CBM center at USC
- Structural Health Monitoring with Mechanical Engineering at USC
- Biomedical Gait Diagnostics and Prognostics with Palmetto Health
In addition to the research programs addressed above, we are providing a quality education on electric power systems and information technology for the undergraduate/graduate program in the Department of Electrical Engineering at the University of South Carolina.