Research Experience for Undergraduates Opportunity in Smart Grid and Power Electronics Technologies
The Center for GRid-Connected Advanced Power Electronic System (GRAPES) at the University of South Carolina invites applications from students who wish to participate in an eight-week summer Research Experience for Undergraduates (REU) program. The selected applicants will become immersed in a nationally-recognized program on grid-connected power electronics, where they will be able to choose from a wide range of research topics such as smart grid, energy storage, renewable energy interconnects, controls, simulation methods, or software development related to these platforms.
For information about the scope of possible research programs see: http://vtb.engr.sc.edu/GRAPES/
Applicants must be U.S. citizens or permanent residents of the United States, and be enrolled in an electrical engineering (or closely related) undergraduate degree program. Successful candidates will be highly motivated students with high GPAs who are good self-starters and also strong team members. Researchers will work closely with PhD students or post-docs.
Program participants will be expected to:
- attend weekly seminars and/or program meetings.
- work a minimum of 36 hours per week over the course of the program.
- give an oral presentation of work performed.
- submit a research report on the work accomplished, and
- perhaps even co- author a journal paper.
- GRAPES Site Director: Dr. Roger Dougal
- Duration: nominally equivalent to 8 weeks full time, but individually tailored to coordinate with the participant’s educational program
- Stipend: $6,000
- Travel allowance: up to $1,000 based on receipts
Required application materials:
- Current resume
- Official or unofficial college transcript(s)
- One-half-page description of your research interests, followed by one-half page description of some project that you have previously completed, perhaps for a course or an internship.
- A letter of recommendation from a professor who is familiar with your capabilities and motivation.
Application materials are accepted until positions are filled.
Send materials to: